Privacy Protection Pledge
At the Surrey Christmas Bureau we respect your privacy. That is why we have developed this Privacy Code of which the objective is to specify guidelines for the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information.
The Surrey Christmas Bureau Society Privacy Code was developed to comply with relevant sections of the Personal Information Protection Act (BC) and the Personal Information Electronic Documents Act.
This Privacy Code demonstrates:
- Our compliance with this new legislation
- Our commitment to protecting your personal information
We have also developed The Privacy Protection Pledge.
We want you to understand the purpose for which we collect personal information. We also want to ensure we have your consent to continue to collect, use and disclose your personal information for one or all of the following purposes:
- To provide services to our clients
- Prove eligibility to get assistance
- Administration of our programs
- To meet our legal and regulatory requirement
- To track, record and retain donation records
The following is a brief synopsis of our privacy practices:
Why do we need to collect your personal information?
If you are a client/customer, volunteer or donor, the Surrey Christmas Bureau may have collected some basic information about you. This makes sure a family is eligible for help. We respect your privacy, which is why we collect personal information only for the above noted purposes.
When do we disclose personal information?
There are a few circumstances where we may need to disclose some personal information to a third party about our clients/customers/volunteers.
Without being exhaustive, here are some examples of situations requiring disclosure:
- To a person who is an authorized agent of that individual. For example, we may provide information about an individual’s donations to that individual’s legal, accounting or financial advisors.
- To a public authority or agent of a public authority if, in our reasonable judgment, it appears that there is imminent danger to life or property which could be avoided or minimized by the disclosure of the information
- To a third party, such as a translator, where the individual has consented to such disclosure
- To employees, funders, directors and volunteers on a limited need to know basis
- To our external auditors or legal counsel, on a limited need to know basis.
Any disclosure of an individual’s personal information that is contemplated in any of items 1 through 6 above, will be made on a “need to know” basis and, where possible, on a confidential basis. We use our Authorization for Release of Information and our Service Consent and Confidentiality Agreement as a means to protect the information and to make sure that the information is used only for the purpose(s) for which it was disclosed.
How do we protect your personal information?
In order to protect your personal information, the Surrey Christmas Bureau Society will:
- Not collect, use or disclose your personal information for any purpose other than those identified above, except >with your further consent
- Protect your personal information with appropriate security safeguards
- Respect the confidentiality of your information when dealing with other organizations
- Strive to keep your personal information as accurate and up to date as is necessary for the purposes identified
- Honour any request you may make for access to your personal information.
What are your choices?
We would like to have your consent to continue to collect, use and disclose your personal information for the purposes identified above. However, you may refuse or withdraw your consent as follows:
- You may refuse to provide your personal >information to us.
- You may also withdraw your consent at any time to use, collect or disclose your information, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice.
However, in either case, this may limit our ability to serve you.
If you have any questions or concerns about our personal information management system, please contact our office.
Otherwise, we will assume that we have your consent to collect, use and disclose your personal information for the purposes identified above and in a manner consistent with this Surrey Christmas Bureau Society Privacy Code.